Skip to main content

My Travel Days in Amritsar

 


Amritsar is the second largest city in the Indian state of Punjab and a major cultural, transportation and economic centre. It is also the centre of Sikhism and the site of the Sikhs’ principal place of worship—the Harmandir Sahib, or Golden Temple. Amritsar was founded in 1577 by Ram Das, the fourth Guru of the Sikhs, on a site granted by the Mughal emperor Akbar. Amritsar has a rich and turbulent history, witnessing the Jallianwala Bagh massacre in 1919, the Partition of India in 1947 and Operation Blue Star in 1984. Amritsar is also famous for its food, handicrafts and festivals.

 I visited Amritsar in May 2023 and spent five days exploring this wonderful city. Here are some of the highlights of my trip:

 Day 1: Golden Temple and Langar

 I started my day with a visit to the Golden Temple, the most sacred shrine of the Sikhs. The temple is surrounded by a pool of water called the Amrit Sarovar, from which the city derives its name. The temple complex is open to people of all faiths and backgrounds and offers free meals to thousands of visitors every day. I was mesmerized by the beauty and tranquillity of the temple, which is covered with gold and adorned with intricate designs. I also visited the Akal Takht, one of the five seats of the authority of the Sikhs, located within the temple complex.

 After spending some time at the temple, I joined the langar, a community kitchen that serves vegetarian food to anyone who comes. I was impressed by the generosity and hospitality of the volunteers who cooked and served the food. I enjoyed a delicious meal of roti (flatbread), dal (lentil soup), sabzi (vegetable curry) and kheer (rice pudding). I also helped in washing the dishes and cleaning the floor. I felt a sense of belonging and gratitude as I shared food with people from different walks of life.

 Day 2: Jallianwala Bagh and Partition Museum

 On my second day, I visited the Jallianwala Bagh, a public garden that witnessed one of the most tragic events in Indian history. On April 13, 1919, British troops fired on a peaceful gathering of unarmed people, killing hundreds and injuring thousands. The garden has a memorial that commemorates the victims of the massacre. I saw the bullet marks on the walls and the well where many people jumped to escape the firing. I felt a mix of sadness and anger as I learned about this horrific incident.

 From there, I walked to the Partition Museum, which is dedicated to the memory of the millions of people who were affected by the Partition of India in 1947. The museum has a collection of photographs, documents, oral histories and artefacts that tell the stories of those who witnessed or experienced the Partition. The museum also has a gallery that showcases the culture and heritage of Punjab before and after the Partition.

I spent a couple of hours in the museum, absorbing the history and emotions of the Partition. I also watched a documentary film that showed the impact of the Partition on the lives of people across India and Pakistan. I felt a sense of empathy and compassion for those who suffered and survived the Partition.

Day 3: Wagah Border and Food Trail

On my third day, I visited the Wagah Border, which is a border crossing between India and Pakistan. The border is famous for its daily ceremony that takes place at sunset. The ceremony involves a parade of soldiers from both sides, who perform synchronized drills and gestures. The ceremony ends with a lowering of flags and a handshake between the soldiers. The ceremony attracts thousands of spectators from both countries, who cheer and chant patriotic slogans. The ceremony was an exhilarating spectacle that showcased both rivalry and camaraderie between the two nations.

After watching the ceremony, I decided to indulge in some local cuisine. Amritsar is known for its delicious food, especially its street food. I tried some of the famous dishes such as Amritsari kulcha (stuffed bread), chole bhature (spicy chickpeas with fried bread), lassi (yogurt drink), jalebi (deep-fried sweet), kulfi (ice cream) and langar (community meal) at various eateries around the city. I was delighted by the variety and flavour of Amritsar’s food.

Day 4: Ram Tirath Temple and Durgiana Temple

On my fourth day, I visited the Ram Tirath Temple, which is believed to be the site where Sita gave birth to Lava and Kusha, sons of Lord Rama. The temple has a pond where Sita is said to have bathed during her exile. The temple also has a hut where Valmiki, the author of Ramayana, is said to have lived. The temple is a pilgrimage site for Hindus and also hosts an annual fair.

From there, I went to the Durgiana Temple, which is a Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Durga. The temple resembles the Golden Temple in its architecture and is surrounded by a water tank. The temple is also known as Lakshmi Narayan Temple and has idols of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. The temple is a popular place of worship for Hindus and attracts many devotees.

Day 5: Shopping and Departure

On my last day, I visited some local shops and markets, where I bought some souvenirs and handicrafts. I bought some phulkari (embroidered fabric), papad (crispy snack), wadiyan (sun-dried lentil dumplings), Amritsari pickles and wooden chess sets. I also bought some books on Sikhism and Punjab’s history and culture.

I packed my bags and checked out of my hotel. I took a taxi to the airport and boarded my flight back home. I bid farewell to Amritsar, a city that had captivated me with its divine beauty and vibrant culture. I hoped to visit again someday and explore more of its wonders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Puri: A Journey Through Culture, Cuisine and Coastal Beauty

Puri is a beautiful coastal city located in the state of Odisha in eastern India. Known for its stunning beaches and rich cultural heritage, Puri is a popular tourist destination that attracts visitors from all over the world. One of the main attractions in Puri is the Jagannath Temple, a magnificent Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Jagannath. The temple is considered one of the four sacred Char Dham pilgrimage sites and is visited by millions of devotees every year. The annual Rath Yatra festival, where the deities of Lord Jagannath, Balabhadra and Subhadra are taken out in a grand procession on chariots, is a sight to behold. Apart from the temple, Puri is also famous for its beaches. Puri Beach is a long stretch of golden sand that is perfect for swimming, sunbathing and taking long walks. The beach is also a popular spot for surfing and other water sports. The sunrise and sunset views from the beach are breathtaking and should not be missed. Puri also has a rich culinary tradition an

Madurai: A Traveler’s Paradise

Exploring the Majestic Charms of Madurai: A Traveler’s Paradise – Travel Reveals Design a site like this with WordPress.com Get started Travel Reveals About Us Contact Refund policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions June 13, 2023 Travel Reveals Travel No comments on Exploring the Majestic Charms of Madurai: A Traveler’s Paradise Exploring the Majestic Charms of Madurai: A Traveler’s Paradise Welcome, fellow travelers, to my vivid travelogue chronicling my enchanting experiences in the vibrant city of Madurai. With over two decades of exploring the globe under my belt, I can confidently say that Madurai is a destination that encapsulates the tr

Coorg: Exploring the Beauty of Karnataka's Scenic District

  Coorg, also known as Kodagu, is a picturesque district in the Indian state of Karnataka. It's a popular tourist destination that is known for its scenic beauty, coffee plantations, and wildlife. The district is located in the Western Ghats and is surrounded by lush green forests, waterfalls, and rivers. In this article, we'll explore some of the top attractions and things to do in Coorg. Visit Abbey Falls Abbey Falls is one of the most popular attractions in Coorg. It's a stunning waterfall that is located amidst lush green coffee plantations. You can take a short trek through the forest to reach the falls and admire the scenic beauty. There are also many small shops and cafes near the falls where you can relax and enjoy the view. Explore the Coffee Plantations Coorg is famous for its coffee plantations, and there are many plantations that you can visit during your stay. You can take a guided tour of the plantations and learn about the coffee-making process. You can also